Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mongolians and Mushrooms and a Date with the River - August 20th, 2011





Hello my little lovelies!


Today we went mushroom hunting. I went my first transfer, but it was too late in the season so we only found the poisonous Mario-looking mushrooms. But TODAY we found many wonderful edible ones. And Marketa taught me how to identify them. So when I return I've decided that we are going back to Washington and we are all going mushroom hunting. I'm sure we'll reap a great harvest, because we will be the only ones hunting. Weee!

This week we said a fond farewell to Sister G, who managed not to give out before it all ended. It's so weird to think that when I left Ostrava for Prague she was at the same point in her mission as I am now. Eek! I don't like to think about that.

I will admit, I had a few reservations as to how the work would continue without her--all alone with my girl Sister White. BUT, really, comp inventory is a beautiful thing. We made big plans for ourselves in our new twosome and I think God was pleased because then we saw MIRACLES. AHH! I suppose I talk about miracles in every email, but they're SO REAL! Serious. Get this:

(from normalest to greatest)
Miracle #4: We made a goal to get two phone numbers and then we would go make some important phone calls. The first two people we talked to gave us their numbers. One of them said she knew members of our branch already.

Miracle #3: Two wonderful Slovak girls that we met and brought to the young single adults FHE last week finally responded to our texts. A sad part of missionary work is that you meet tons of amazing people and then, for one reason or another, they stop talking to you. No matter how many times it happens, I can't seem to learn to not get so excited about every single one of them. Which isn't so bad, but when you fall asleep saying someone's name over and over again because you think they're golden and then they never answer their phone again, it's a little hurtful. So I thought that was the case with these two. BUT they texted us back yesterday saying that they had tried to text us but we never responded--I suppose something must have happened with our phone. The one time a broken phone is good news. :)

Miracle #2: Another investigator who has difficulty reading in the Book of Mormon texted us and told us he read two chapters.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, the big guy,
Miracle #1: VACLAV AGREED TO BE BAPTIZED!! WOOOOOOOOOO! This week I have seen a HUGE change in him--mainly because we finally introduced him to two wonderful members (Members! You'll never know how important you are!). One of them actually met him a few weeks ago in church and then called us, asking to teach with him and thanking us for bringing such good people into the branch. So these two great men really helped him. He came to the meeting on Friday feeling pretty down--he finally received word that his dad passed away (he's been in the hospital for a long while now). He started thinking more about what a life well-spent was and how he could make his life better. Our wonderful member Lubomir (shout out to Sister Austin) shared his experience with baptism and we asked if we could help him prepare for September 17th and he said yes! In the end, the realization that this was a step he needed in his life was brought about by something only God could do. Gotta love Him. :)

I just realized that I always end up sharing experiences from the last half of the week and never from the first half of the week. Because sometimes I forget. The first half of the week was a Mongolian miracle. We've been working with the wonderful woman named Zulaa, who's a member and actually served a mission in Mongolia, but has gone somewhat inactive since then. She has struggled with her testimony of the Book of Mormon and has struggled fitting in the branch because no one really speaks Mongolian. Sister G was wonderful for her and we worked with her a lot and the branch began to be more aware of her. In fact, she gave a talk last Sunday on testimony and talked of how we've helped her re-gain her testimony of the Book of Mormon and it was so beautiful I just had to cry.

People this stuff is so real! I wish everyone would just give it a try and realize how happy life can be.


S laskou,


Sestra Dean


OH MY! I keep forgetting--I met a girl from TAICHUNG last week! Really! She came here to study and married a Czech! I was so excited--I got her phone number and set up a meeting with her, but I think my excitement exceeded hers because she never came and answered again. She's going back to Taiwan soon with her husband--Beks, use your mad missionary skills to ferret her out of the crowds. Her fake name is Christy. Just look for a girl who looks like she's talked to me recently. You know the type.

Also, we're teaching this awesome boy named Li Hang. He speaks a tiny bit of Czech, so most of our lessons are us pointing to different parts of the pamphlet and having him read things we google translated in preparation for it. But he's really prepared. He had his cousin translate something about how he's coming to understand Christ better through the Book of Mormon, which he's already finished and is reading over again.

Danielle: Oh my, I LOVE you. I laughed right out loud several times at your email. You and all your men of various ethnicities. Hah! [--------]is maybe a little on the short side for you, however...


Pictures--

Us and Li Hang, our main Chinese man.

Our last moments with Sister G, as well as Tiffany Shaw's cousin, who will be home in a few days.

Me and the mushroom I found.


No comments:

Post a Comment