Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nightly Wrestling and Mid-Training Crises - August 8th, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen. Please make way for a miracle or two.

I don't want to brag or anything, but MAN does Heavenly Father love me. Seriously, I mean He loves me.

This week began in a bit of a craze. The greatest companion I never had, Sister Glaus, left the Czech Prague mission in a blaze of shimmery goodness. We sisters in Prague are pretty lucky because other missionaries have to visit Prague often on business. And whenever they do, we get to have a sleepover party and share miracles and act like girls in a completely inspiring and uplifting sort of way. So when Sister Glaus made her way out of here, she stayed at our house for a bit. The amazing part is that she was meant to leave on Monday. But something fishy happened with her flight home and suddenly she was working in our area with us for two days or so. And God did it because of me, I just know it. Maybe I wasn't the only reason for it, but I'm sure I factored in there somewhere.

Leading up to this I'd found myself a little dissatisfied and I couldn't figure out why--perhaps because our investigators weren't progressing the way I wanted them to. And I won't lie, it's been difficult juggling a Sister G who's leaving while training a brand-new Sister White--new and dying missionaries definitely work at different paces. As I worked with Sister Glaus, I started to realize what a unified companionship should feel like. And I sucked every last bit of wisdom I could from her guts before they put her on the plane (good luck with whatever's left of her, people). And I began to understand the changes I needed to make in the work in order work the way God would have us work.

And then. We had district meeting. Remember little Elder Meiling? Well, he's big Elder Meiling, the renowned District Leader now. As he began the meeting, he mentioned how he'd struggled to prepare for it all week and it just hadn't come together the way it usually does. And how, at the last minute, he realized he needed to take it in a completely different direction. The Spirit told me: This one's for you. And it was.

And then. We had Greenie Bootcamp (or the more pc name: Progression Training) in Brno. All the trainers were able to discuss their ideas and problems and successes together and God taught me a thing or two that day.

[Meanwhile, the first half of this week was fraught with ditchers. Like really, ditchy-McDitchersons. My planner has big Xs through lessons at least every day this week. EXCEPT....]

And THEN. Friday happened. Wonderful, beautiful Friday. Friday = Fabday. We had SIX lessons on the plan, and not a single one fell through (and mind you, Friday is usually ditch-day--everyone wants to leave on the weekends). A million wonderful things happened, but let me tell you about one of them. Her name is Maja.

Maja is a young single adult.
Maja is an artist.
Maja is from Russia.
Maja's family is Muslim, but not very Muslim.
Maja speaks perfect English.
Maja and I met in the metro (yes, we've been talking to EVERYone. It's awesome).
Maja's sister died 3 years ago.
Maja's been looking for answers ever since.
When we gave Maja a tour of the church and talked about sacrament meeting, she said she'd like to come before we even invited her--except for that it starts at 9 am. We promised her lots of blessings. We offered to call her to help her wake up in the morning.
Maja agreed, but here's the catch: we have to call her at 6 am because she lives far away.
Maja said she felt different in the meeting.
We taught Maja about the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We invited Maja to be baptized so she can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (yes, first lesson--some great advice from the First Presidency we've been working on).
She'd have to think about it.

Sister White taught like a pro, which made my heart so proud. And she got a little bolder and told Maja we wanted to meet with her several times a week.
Which Maja agreed to. And then Maja said a short, spectacular, sincere, pleading prayer--mainly regarding an obstacle at work.


And that is all.
For now.
But, as of late, she's my favorite miracle.

Speaking of the subject line--Daddio, remember that one note you left on my door forever ago? Well, I was reading in Enos the other day, about how he wrestled with God. And I was making some goals for the month of August. And I just couldn't help it--one of them is to wrestle every night when I get home. :)

I know that I'm not going to be home for Christmas. But just think of it--it's like Christmas will be a little longer! I'll bring home some wonderful Czech Christmas traditions to show you and you'll all be so happy about it that it won't even make a difference.

Life is just so good right now, nothing really matters. Or rather, all the right things matter--and that's what makes life so worthwhile. I hope you all have a clever Fast Sunday and learn lots. I'm going to be helping with translations in Sacrament meeting tomorrow. Eek!

Lovesies,

Sestra Dean


Also: Bekah boo, you are getting so big! I have a piece of present for you waiting to be posted. Be expecting. Lurve you.

No comments:

Post a Comment