Sunday, August 21, 2011

Czech Pioneers on Priest Hill - July 23, 2011

Cus! (choos--it's like the prague version of cest)

Today we went with a bunch of ward members to a place called "Priest Hill"--it's where John A Widtsoe first dedicated the Czech Republic for missionary work on July 24, 1929. Every time I hear anything about that man I feel such a connection to him. Everything I've ever read about him is brilliant. I wish I could learn more about him right now, but my resources are a little limited. Anyway, we had a simple testimony meeting up there and saw some beautiful things. If you want to learn about the amazing woman who first brought the Church to Czechoslovakia, look up Franiska Vesela Brodilova--apparently there was an article about her in the Ensign called "Czechoslovakia Was Her Mission"in Sept 1995. Look it up. She's so cool. I am learning more and more as a missionary of how the gospel is often founded on the backs of righteous women of the Church. Man, I just love my XX genes.

There is also a great castle next to Priest Hill. Really, it makes one feel displaced standing in its presence. I almost expected to feel a sword on my back and see knights of the Czech round table marching down the street, it's that medieval. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we ended up running to make our train--and it was quite a run. The train was running a tad late, so we arrived at the station before the train did. However, as we were waiting for a set of Elders to buy our tickets, it pulled up, sat for 30 seconds, and left before we were able to cross the tracks and board. As the train pulled out we looked pleadingly up at the driver, who seemed to know exactly what he was doing and showed us no sympathy.
So we had a little district bonding over Czech lunch. Such is life in Europe. The closest thing I can compare European transportation to is middle school life, when Chris and I were always rushing to hop the fence and catch the bus before it pulled out. But here it happens a lot more often. And I think that some drivers derive some sort of satisfaction in leaving precisely according to schedule, despite the desperate people left behind. :) Maybe it's the European equivalent of road rage.

This week we've made an extra push for Vaclav. I really feel as though he is so close. His desire and interest has grown so much in the past few weeks. I've been praying as mightily as I can for him to have some sort of spiritual experience. Keep him in your prayers.

This transfer is interesting. We are teaching a lot of really neat people. However, none of them seem to be your average "golden investigator"--they all seem to be progressing much more slowly than any progressing investigator I've taught in the past. It's a humbling experience, realizing that the Lord has His own time frame and his own plans for each individual. We have been meeting so many great new people. One man, another Ludek, really felt the spirit in our last meeting--it was obvious. But he's had close calls with schizophrenia in the past. Because of that, he doesn't want to ask God questions in his prayers because he doesn't want to hear any voices. Another man, Emil, we ran into 2 days in a row before he would agree to meet with us. He's interested in learning more, but afraid to tell his family about it when he's still not sure himself. But the Lord has really blessed me with the heart of a missionary--as soon as we meet with these people I just can't help but love them. People are just so wonderful and interesting and it's such a blessing to interact with them so much on a regular basis.

I learned a lot about the Spirit this week in a meeting with a Mongolian member who's been struggling with her testimony. I wasn't able to say much--Sister G translated a bit for me--but the Spirit of God was there. So strongly. I had no idea what was going on, but I felt it so intensely that I almost began to cry several times during the lesson. This stuff really is so real. I wish everyone would have the courage to find out for themselves.

Hey, way to go on ward missionary meeting--what a great idea! If you're nervous about talking to someone, don't hesitate to pray and ask God not only for an opportunity to talk about it, but for the courage to talk about it. I've found that the moments leading up to opening your mouth are always the worst part--and the longer you draw it out the worse it feels. That's why I've learned to just open your mouth before thinking twice. But as soon as you open your mouth, God will fill it. That doesn't always mean that you'll say something beautiful or flawless--sometimes that means that they won't be quite as turned off as they could have been by your clumsy words. But He really does want it to work out and He will always bless you for your willingness to take part in His work. Good work Danielle--inviting someone to church! Watch out, everyone will be asking if he's your boyfriend for the next few months. :) I want to see a copy of your talk.
Michelle, have so much fun at your party! I have a card for you--look for something in the mail from the Czech Republic. :)

Everyone, you all are just the cat's pajamas. I love hearing from you. I keep you all in my prayers. And let me tell you, those babies work.

S laskou,

Sestra Dean

Quick fact about everyone's favorite Ostravsky miracle, Dusan (I can't remember if I already told you this): he's getting married in November, which means I will be here for it, which means I will see his baptism! Woo!

And: leadership conference is for aps, district leaders, zone leaders, and trainers.

Furthermore: my companions are great. Sister White is really smart. She has a really big vocabulary. It reminds me of when I used to use big words. Now I can't remember what any of them mean because I'm always trying to speak simply. I had a dream the other night that I came home and wanted my job in the writing center back, but they made me re-apply and I didn't know how to write an essay anymore. She's a really good person and will be a great missionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment