Sunday, August 21, 2011

What's Summer? - July 30th, 2011

Hello my dears.

I think we skipped summer here in Prague. It seemed like there was some pattern at first--hot and then a little rain, and then hot again. However that cycle has come to an abrupt end and it's as though we're in Seattle around the middle of September.

This week we've had a major focus on working with and getting to know the members. How great it's been! We have such wonderful people in our branch. They are just so vital to everything we do here as missionaries and will be the key to finding more prepared people, so we've been taking time to meet with members and hear about their conversion stories and talk about the blessings of the restoration and ask them who they know that we could talk to. Many people are really shy when it comes to talking about the church because the average Czech just doesn't talk about religion at all. But I can really feel that the Lord is going to use them to bless the lives of so many around them. People, don't forget how great your influence is on those around you!

Coolest new investigator of the moment: Her name is Jenny. She's probably in her late 20s and she's from Ecuador. We met her on our way to help a member move last week--we were dressed in work clothes and hardly looked like missionaries. She told us that her neighbor had been baptized into the LDS church when she was in Ecuador and she always saw these young foreign men going to his house in white shirts, who also happened to be really attractive, so she had always been really intrigued by them. We didn't talk too much, but we exchanged numbers with her and were able to set up a meeting last wednesday. Diana, our wonderful little Peruvian friend, came along. It was amazing--really, talking with her was nothing like talking to the average Czech. We gave her a short tour of the building. When we came to the picture of Jesus Christ visiting the Lamanites, we explained a little to her about the Book of Mormon and that these people could have lived near where she lived. Her eyes got really big and she said, "I've never heard anything like this before. Really, is this true?" We assured her that it was. :) As we talked more about church she told us that she'd like to come before we ever even invited her. We then talked about prophets and how a prophet lives today. We asked her what she would do if Moses were alive today and she said, "I'd do whatever he said!" I really have a lot of hope for her. We won't be able to meet with her until she comes to church a week from tomorrow, but I really feel that God is preparing her to find the truth.

That's about all I have time for this week. I really love you all. Oh yeah, one more thing, but don't freak out too much, okay? President gave me a call the other day. I'm flying home on Dec 27th. And that's the last time we'll talk about it.
This work is just the best. Don't forget how blessed we are.

S laskou,

Sestra Dean

Shout outs:
Beks: AHH! Happy Birthday Boo! How did we even get here? Thanks sooooo much for the package. That mission CD is a real winner, it's been in the cd player ever since I opened it. I'm trying to talk the office elders into making a Czech Prague mission one as well. Keep an eye out for a letter from me and another b-day something headed your way. Also, give my regards to the members for the fantastic cake display.

Corey and Chris: I've been giving life savers out to Czechs and none of them seem to know what they are. You both are so wonderful! Thank you so much for the package and the birthday funds. I will make sure to put them to good use. :)

Aunt Veeky: How did you get so good at making cards? (Corey too!) My, what talent you have. :) Keep it up champ, I'm praying for you.

Courty: I can't believe you danced on stage with Britney Spears! Wow. I hope you busted out some good moves, nothing too embarrassing. :) I love hearing from you. Keep being happy. And let me know if those Elders ever come back to your door. I'll send you something soon.

Ma: sorry for the lack of pictures--my cameria has been mimo provoz. But I think it's working again. i'll see what I can do . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment