Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 3rd, 2011



Cauky Binkyheads!

I'm doing pretty well myself. The weather's getting loads better here--hardly even cold (that is...when I'm wrapped up in a big sleepingbagcoat and boots and a scarf--but today we went to the grocery store and I started burning up!)

Martin and Olga both have baptismal dates for the 22nd of January--not quite yet. Things are going pretty well for them--Martin came to church again on Sunday. He even fasted with a real personal purpose! Awesome. And he actually called us up last Friday and asked if we'd like to meet with him, even though he hadn't planned on it. The only bad thing is that he drank some champagne on New year's. We went over it with him so many times, what he would drink, because we knew it'd be hard for him. But he said his friends forced him to. He's just not used to having to resist that sort of temptation yet.

Olga is also still progressing. And still hitting on Martin. Haha! Poor guy. Did I tell you that Olga has a big crush on Moroni? That picture of him burying the plates--she always looks at it and talks about how hot he is (more or less). But it's okay, we just tell her she can read about him.

In answer to your questions, I am eating well. As in, enough. In fact, the problem is eating too much some days--the members here LOVE us Sisters and invite us over for meals on a regular basis (we usually have at least one meal appointment each week). But they forget that us sisters can't eat as much as elders. Or I'll tell them that I don't have room for it all and they'll say "Oh, you can find room, I'm sure". So I'm learning to give myself very small portions, if I get to be the one to dish myself up. Sister Laws has a new year's resolution to not eat any sweets, so I'm doing that with her for the time being. We'll see how long she lasts--on sunday the elders made chocolate cake and she sat right next to it and drooled over it and asked them how good it was but never ate any. :)

My apartment is on the second floor--it's pretty small, like a college apartment. And kind of old--i.e. the toilet rocks back and forth while you sit on it. But it works--we're not really home enough for it to matter, I think. On p-days we usually go grocery shopping or for whatever else we need. Today we bought a 'stick blender' at a big costco-like store--hellllloooo breakfast smoothies! Then we email. Then we do whatever else we want--today we're going bowling with the elders. Sometimes we write letters. Usually sister laws sleeps some, but I just find myself tireder after naps. My companions always seem to be tired all the time. So far I've missed that boat, but I'm afraid what might happen to me as I continue being a missionary...

Something funny: It's not really custom here to ask, "How's it going" or even say hello if you don't know someone. But I like doing it anyway, because it starts conversation and intrigues people. Sometimes people ask me why I want to know, which makes me want to laugh (they do that when I ask their names often too, after we've had a long conversation).

Another weird thing--often people don't feel comfortable calling me by "Sister Dean" here, so they call me Ashley. Or sometimes I just tell them my name is Dean, without the Sister, and then they think that's my first name.

Oh no, I'm running out of time. But I love you all--Smelly, I hope you figure out what to do with school. Pray about it to make sure you're not just trying to escape. But a new beginning could be kind of fun. Michelle--send me pics of your new shirt! Chris and Corey--have a baby already!! Beks--why am I not getting your emails any more?! Everyone else--mam te rada!

S laskou,

No comments:

Post a Comment