Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hele! (January 10th, 2011)





Rodino, atd--nazdar!

Hello! This week has been a fabulous week--we've had EIGHT(!!) new investigators, 6 member lessons, 5 other lessons, 100 hours of speaking Czech, and still 2 people progressing towards a baptismal date. Not that numbers matter so much, but I figured it might be interesting for you to see what a good week for us looks like. Our biggest struggle is still getting people to come to church--a lot of people leave to go out of town on the weekends, especially students who are studying away from home. Some of them go home EVERY weekend--can you believe that? Even older people, in their 30s or 40s go and visit their parents often if they don't have a family of their own yet. A lot of them can't even begin to imagine how we stand being away from home for a year and a half without any trips back throughout. But Martin still comes every Sunday--yesterday he even answered TWO questions at church, one in Sunday school and another in priesthood. He's just SO cool! We told him for the first time that serving a mission is a possibility for him last week--he'd never even thought it possible before, but I could see it working over in his mind. I really just want him to serve a mission and then come back and find a nice Czech Mormonka and have an eternal family. That would be my greatest dream. He's awesome.

Olga didn't come to church--she was sick. Apparently she had a fever or something, but you can never be too sure with Czechs. At the first sign of sniffles, they quarantine themselves for days on end and won't permit themselves to do anything until they are better. It's absurd, sometimes. But she's still making progress. We're a little concerned for her--we haven't seen the great change in her that we tend to see in others who become really converted as they progress towards baptism. But she's willing to do everything and be baptised and she says that she wants that certainty in life, which is a great reason for baptism. And when I called the other day, she was reading the Book of Mormon! She's going to get baptized, because she wants it, but I think it's going to still be a lot of work with her even afterwards in order to help her find spiritual strength on her own. Please pray for her.

We've seen a lot of great results from the 1,000 contacts day before Christmas: 6 of our 8 new investigators have come from our interactions on that day! We've been making a bigger push as a district for member lessons and new investigators and it's really helped me push myself and plan ahead in order to make my personal visions into a reality. Sersiously-- I. LOVE. THIS. WORK. ! It's so neat to see the hope in people's eyes as we promise real blessings to them that really mean something. One of our new investigators has cancer--she's maybe only in her 30s and has a young daughter. We taught her with a really solid member in the branch and the entire lesson was basically showing her how the gospel of Jesus Christ can help her find answers to her questions and give her something to hold on to when things are unpredictable. She cried a lot, but the Spirit was there and it really felt like our work was the work God Himself might do if He were here. In reality, I suppose He is doing it, right here, right now. I can feel Him in it, which is the best part.

I received a letter from Petr Bandik recently--about how his spiritual conversion came primarily after his baptism. I love hearing things like that! That baptism is just the taking off point for people. I've noticed in the scriptures it says over and over again that people are 'baptised unto repentance'. Often, as a missionary I've just focused on the repentance leading up to baptism for investigators, but now I'm beginning to realize that our work merely frees them, is a catalyst for even greater growth in these individuals than I could ever imagine. God knows what kind of people He wants them to be. The gates of baptism just lead to more change, more happiness, living more completely--repentance. I love that.

Sister Laws and I are getting along really well. There are a few differences to work out, as there are in every relationship. I'm learning a lot and being humbled in a lot of ways. I've always been the sort of person who wants to put her two cents in...sometimes it can lead to taking over lessons. And she tends to worry about schedule things a bit more than I do, which is a struggle for someone who comes from an alwaysthelastonestochurcheveniftheylive5minutesaway sort of family. :) But I love it--I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Oh family, I just love you so much! One request, if you please: could you send the most recent conference Ensign? We STILL haven't gotten it. :( But bummer.

In Petr's email he said that he got your letter--he said the DVD was perfect for him, because he loves hearing people's testimonies so much. :) Good work!

I'm glad things are going so well--it's so good to hear updates on everyone in the fam. A few shoutouts:
Ma--Tragically, I finished the peanut butter and the granola this week, and shed a quiet tear in rememberance of how beautiful the past few weeks have been because of them. And I'm wearing toewarmers this very moment and life just couldn't be much better.

Corey--thanks so much for your letter! I love you two so much!

Gayann--where are my Bek updates?! You're hogging all the news! I want to hear more about the girl with the mother who's objecting to baptism! Oh--I just remembered...you're sailing, aren't you? Okay, well I suppose that's a pretty good excuse. :) Catch some rays for those of us caught up in a European winter.

Sister Wheeler--I think you read this...sometimes. But OH MY--HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I laughed SO hard at your email! (I'm still getting used to seeing 'Joce' at the end of it.) I promise, your secret is safe with me. BUT I want the DEETS!! What happened? Anything too 'oooo, awkward!' or was it pretty typical? Hahaha. Ha. I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you--are you still thinking about nursing? I'm excited to meet this new sister! Only one of the new mongolian sisters is here already--in Prague. We're thinking the other new one may come here to ostrava with us, because otherwise she'd have to be in an area where sisters are already blinding in AND follow-up training. That could be interesting, but I remember how much you loved a threesome, so I'm okay with that. Sestro, I'm still learning how great of a trainer you were all the time. I'm so grateful that I was able to serve with you! I hope you do read this and know that I just love you to itty bitty pieces!

Shelly & Smelly--I want to hear from you!! Whose sisters are you anyways??

Daddio--I've made another resolution to break out the harmonica more often. We'll see how it goes. I heard rumors of a harmonica floating around elders apartment that says 'made in czechoslovakia' on it--if I can get my hands on it, I'll bring it home for you. :)

Ahh, live it up everyone! Life should be wonderful!

S laskou,

sestra dean

No comments:

Post a Comment