Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 17th, 2011

THEY'RE REAL THEY'RE REAL THEY'RE REAL, I tell you! Miracles, I mean. Thats what I've felt like shouting in the streets lately. Let's just take a quick look at our all-star line up right now, yah?

Martin Grochol: getting baptised THIS SATURDAY! A few days ago we ran in to him while contacting in the city center. He's such a hoot, we have so much fun with this kid. It's like a party all the time--no one can really call it work. I mentioned to him that he would make a great missionary the other day and he said, "yeah, maybe I will be." I know, right?

Artur Chlad: kind of a rough-looking character I met on the 1000 day. Young, but has a chipped tooth and a gaged ear. Tends to just sit and listen when we teach, but says he feels something really different around us. I see a lot of potential in this guy, even though hes slightly gun-shy when it comes to organized religion.

Rosta: Met him exactly one week after 1000 day. Has already read through 2 Nephi. Came to church yesterday. Middle aged and a little goofy--looks like he should be in a cartoon or something, because he doesn't really have a neck--but in a very sweet, endearing sort of way.

MICHAL FILIP!!!!!! This is the biggest miracle I think Ive seen on my mission. Here's how it all went down:

So, as you know we ride the trams a lot here. Which means a lot of time to talk to people on the trams, which can be pretty hard sometimes. But S. Laws and I have made a special effort to get better at this because we know there are a lot of opportunities for us to find prepared people this way. Last transfer we mostly contacted people on the trams by asking if we could practice English with them. About 80 percent of the time people would ask where were from and then we'd get to share a message with them. I know, a little wimpy. So more recently we've been learning to be bolder and begin our conversations the way we'd contact anyone on the street--talking about families, or the purpose of life or something like that.

Miracle part A.
Last Monday, we were about to head to the church building for a meeting with a kid that never showed. However, we ran into a member on our way and missed the tram we originally wanted.

Miracle part B.
When we finally boarded the tram, S. Laws got on ahead of me and began making her way towards some likely prospect. Ahead of her, I saw a man that immediately struck me as different in some way. Probably in his late 20's or so, in a nice suit, he looked like a real "kingdom builder" as they tend to call it. A little intimidating, but for some reason I just knew that if S. Laws didn't talk to him, I needed to talk to him.

Part C.
Sister Laws talked to him. Afterwards, we talked about it and she'd felt the same. But the contact was really short--she told him she was a missionary and talked with people about the purpose of life. He said he really wanted to talk to her about that, but he had to get off at the next stop. She gave him a card and told him to call. This all happened in about 50 seconds.

Part D.
A few hours later--he actually called!! Said he wasn't a believer, but he had a Bible and he listened to a lot of people's takes on the purpose of life and wanted to hear ours. Set up to meet with us.

Part E.
After rescheduling a few times due to his work schedule, we met with him and a friend he brought along. A successful financial advisor, Michal has more questions than anyone I've ever met. He asked us about everything and was really impressed that we financed our own way. We were able to testify boldly that we knew our message was true. We gave him the Book of Mormon. Awesome.

Part F.
Met with him again with a member, Sister Michalska, who also had her own search for truth. Began by telling us that he really liked the BOM--that he'd read the Bible and thought it was such a pity that it was so old, that it'd be wonderful if there were something else to support it. Talked about the plan of salvation in great detail. Really liked it and said it all made sense. Said he felt something different around us and wanted to meet again. Prayed at the end!! AHHHH!

Parts G - Z, but it's still not over.


Quotes of the week (roughly translated):

"Look at you, you're just so different from everyone else in this city. You two are like little sunshines, while the rest of the world walks around in a cloud. The people who reject you just don't know what they're doing."

"I feel closer to God when I meet with you. Sometimes it lingers for a while afterwards, but it's totally different than my normal life."

"I feel something really different right now. In a good way. It makes me want to find out more about you."

"I think that maybe I was supposed to meet you."

"People in this church are like a big family--this is how it should be."

--Lately I've really felt the impact we have on those around us. We really are representatives of Christ and people can see that in us, they know that we're somehow different. I LOVE that.

This life is just so so good.

I am just about to ask pres about the phone call. I'll let you know asap.
One other thing--can I get Grandma and Grandpa Dean's address? I have a Christmas card for them that I never mailed.

Fam, everyone, I just love you! I know this is the real deal. It can't not be, with all the things I've seen in life. It works. Just tell everyone to try it, they can find out on their own.

A few shoutouts:

Beks: got your letter! Just sent one to you that I thought I had mailed quite a while ago... Man, I can not get over that picture of you contacting someone through the car window! Go get 'em sister!

Adri: I don't know if you read this, but I think you're home now. Address, please?!? I love you!

Corey: thanks so much for the email! You're awesome--I'll write more to you next week, promise!


Everyone else: mam te tak rada a mejte se moc fajn!

S laskou,
sestra dean

No comments:

Post a Comment