Sunday, October 16, 2011

Only 3 more times!! September 24th, 2011

Hello lovelies,

This week has been splendid, as always. I am learning a lot, as always. It seems that the closer I get to the end, the more I have to learn. This seems quite contrary to logic, but it's happening to me. Because of this concert, Sister Bean and Sister Anderson are practicing for at least an hour each day. Because my musical talents pale in comparison, I have become the designated caller (I almost wrote call girl, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea...). This means that I sit and make calls, setting up meetings, following up on commitments, arranging things for the concert and asking members to help us with investigators. I am learning from this that real love and charity not only serves, but supports and appreciates. When you really love a person you can do everything possible to make someone else look good without needing to draw attention to yourself. I suppose the very most prideful part of me needed to learn this about charity. About the joy that comes of making others shine without needing to shine myself. As Christ did, when He, in every instance, indicated that He was merely doing the will of the Father. How rad is He?
Learning is good.

Li Hang is still the light of our lives over here. It is incredible to me how we are able to communicate and laugh together with the language barriers. In lessons lately he's been asking things like, "What happens to people when they die without learning about the gospel?' and 'What are the mysteries of God contained in the brass plates?" and "I will have to go back to China in three years or so where there is no Church--what will I do?" and "Do you have to know everything to go on a mission? Can I be a missionary too?" He told me yesterday that he loved reading about the commandments in the Gosple Principles book because he didn't know about them before. And he likes reading about eternal families because his "heart wants one", as he translated for me on his iphone.

He also wrote on his iphone yesterday that Sister Anderson was like a "Harry Potter speech teacher action" because she was talking so fast. Yes, there are some instances in which we still can't understand each other, no matter how well google translator seems to work. Haha.

I like what you wrote about joy, Dad. I see Satan trying so hard to diminish the joy that we have because he knows how it has such a great effect on the people around us--he encourages us to see our flaws, to become discouraged from rejection, to think that it's our fault things don't go the way we want them to and tries to make us forget that other people have their agency to do as they please, regardless of how good and sincere we are. But when we can learn to recognize those tactics he has, we can learn that true joy comes from something within. It comes from knowing God, and thus knowing oneself and striving to become like God. So many people here think they are happy because they live without a major crisis in their lives or because they are healthy. Oh that I were an angel!

The more missionary work I do, the more I am convinced of each person's divine potential and God's great role in creating something beautiful from each of us. So many people I have met lately say that as long as we are good, kind people with a lot of love then it doesn't matter what else we do or what else we believe. The longer I live, the more I am convinced that God does not merely want good and nice people. He won't stop at that because He loves us far too much. He wants us to be good and nice, as well as honest and sincere, and just and brave and charitable and gracious and generous--the list could go on and on. He won't stop giving us opportunities to change and grow until we have become as He is. And that is what the gospel does for us. It gives us a pattern to live after, and He gives us the opportunities to apply them into our lives and change ourselves.

Also:
Dad--there's a new senior couple here and the man lived in Palmer, Alaska. He was actually converted and baptized there in his twenties. Alan Curtis...would you know any people from there?

Ma--do you know when I'll have to sign up for classes?? I love you. Thanks for the Ensign quotes. I'm sorry I put you through all that prom dress stuff. Ugh. I'll be praying for you, but you might get a few gray hairs anyway--I can only do so much. For some reason the attach button isn't working, so no pictures today.

This work is really the most wonderful thing on the planet! I'm so grateful and humbled to be a part of it. I love you all so much!

S laskou,
Sestra Dean


Staisha Stratton-- I don't know how often you look at this guy, but I have been thinking about you nonstop this week. I could squish you to death I love you so much. Please be healthy and be my friend. Okay thanks. Bdofml (best day of my life). :)

Tiffany--congratulations again on the baby--it sounds close! When is it coming? Oh please oh please oh PLEASE let it have red hair. By the way, I saw a woman with PERFECT Anne of Green Gables hair the other day...if I hadn't been singing I would have whipped out my camera for sure.

Courty--How's the reading list coming lady? Serial killers/missionaries?

Any Beechers that exist--I had a horrible dream about you two nights ago. I hope you all live.

Beks--DP dance party, don't forget to dance it out. :) Lurve.

Smelly Danielley,

I thought I wrote you back...Didn't I? Now I can't remember. Life is all jumblesdfaplkmafa. sometimes. I want to hear about the following things:

1. Alaska
2. Homecoming
a, dress
b, Nate Clark
c, day date

3. Soccer


I would write you more, but I think it'd help if you gave me a few questions. Sometimes I can't figure out what's interesting to normal people and what's only interesting to missionaries.

Love,

Harry Sestra

No comments:

Post a Comment