Sunday, July 17, 2011

May 5th, 2011

Cau čeče!

So, I know you've all been DYING to hear transfer facts, right? Yeah, I was too. Ish. But here we go....

I'm not in Ostrava anymore. I'm officially emailing you from the beautiful city of Prague, where I am follow-up training Sister Christensen. My first time having anyone in my district younger than I am, let alone my compydoo. Crazy.

I won't lie, I bawled my guts out when I found out I was leaving Ostrava. That city is the most wonderful place in the world. I feel as though we've built the Poruba Ostrava area up with our bare hands (and so so so much help from the Lord!). 6 months of seeing people grow and change--we've seen the members' faith increase a ton as well, as we've worked and brought solid new members into the branch. And we also have wonderful investigators like Dusan and Jirka, well on their way to becoming spiritual all stars. So I was a little sad... BUT last night a lot of my favorite people came to English and I was able to see them one last time, which was great. It was amazing to see how many people one can touch as a missionary--I didn't really realize how much of a difference my service has made until then. I just had overwhelming feelings of gratitude in that moment that I had chosen to serve a mission and that the Lord led me there. It made me feel a bit better about leaving, knowing that I had worked hard and by the spirit and that lots of similar opportunities awaited me here in Prague. Even as I'm typing this I feel that sense of impending miracles--I know they'll happen.
The VERY BEST part of this past week though: Sunday. Maybe the best Sunday of my entire life! I don't know if you remember, but my first few weeks in Ostrava we hovered around 35 people attending church regularly. But this past sunday we had 57 people at church. FIFTY SEVEN!! And FIVE of them were our investigators (including Jirka and Dusan, another man with a new baptismal date we just met the Sunday before, a 10 year-old son of a solid member, and the mom of a kid who just left on a mission). Our two wonderful members who were in America had just returned, so they bore wonderful testimonies about the truthfulness of the church and then MARTIN GROCHOL, that wonderful little czech man, bore his testimony!! I told him that it was my greatest ambition to hear him bear his testimony, and he really did it! And Jirka just ate it up--he said he felt really similar to Martin and really enjoyed it. There was so much talk about the Holy Ghost and even baptism, it was just beautiful. It couldn't have been any better.

Dusan's progressing really well. We talked with him a few days ago about prayer. We found out that sometimes he'd prayer while lying on his bed right before falling asleep (hey, we've all done at some point, right?), so we talked with him about kneeling and praying. He was a little unsure as to whether he could because of his leg injury, but said he would as soon as he felt it was okay. SO. He's been trying to sell this house that he rennovated so he can build one for him and martina to live in when they get married. It looked like it was all set and the buyers were happy, but on Monday they called and said they weren't so sure. He was really worried about it and prayed, telling Heavenly Father that he needed to sell the house and asking him for help--his first prayer on his knees. The next day the buyer called and said he still wanted it and they signed the papers. God's really preparing this man for something wonderful. It was difficult to say goodbye to him--he told me that we were like a part of his family. He bought me a necklace with a sun on it--actually really cool (he has great taste)--and gave it to me, saying that I was like a little sunshine that just brightened everyone's day. That was the last time I cried. I never want to take it off.

But now I'm feeling good about Prague. I think it'll be wonderful. Sister Christensen reminds me a lot of Sister Stratton (who, by the way, I just found out went home because of a bad illness! SO SO sad! Pray for her!). She's really happy and bubbly and talkative, but maybe doesn't love the Czech language so much. This will be fun because I just LOVE speaking Czech. :) Apparently our teacher in the MTC, Brother Rowberry, told her that he really hoped I trained her because we're so much alike. Wish granted, B. Rowberry (who I hear is ENGAGED--hodne blahoprani ti preju, cece, if you ever happen to read this). Here we already have a man with a baptismal date, whom I will meet tomorrow. Also: Elder Meiling is in my district. So, if he gets any letters from Danielle and I don't, I WILL know about it. :)

Anyways, I don't have too many other things to say that won't make me wish I were back in Ostrava. Oh wait, I should tell you--the last week of AWESOME APRIL was a week focused on giving baptismal dates. And last week we met with Jirka. That morning he texted us, telling us that he had some great news and was really excited to tell us. We were a little apprehensive because sometimes 'great news' for an investigator can be really hard news for a missionary (i.e. "I finally found a job but it means I'm moving to a city where there are no missionaries", etc). So when we met with him, we asked him about it right away. (Background: we had read Hel 5:30 with him the meeting before, which discribes the Holy Ghost kind of--or the voice they heard when Christ came, but relates to the HG). So he told us: "I prayed last night and I think I heard the Holy Ghost. I don't remember what it said, but I felt really good." So we gave him a baptismal date before we even said the opening prayer. 11 June.
Also, two sundays ago a new face came to church who seemed to know some people in the branch. Upon talking with him we came to know Cestmir, a man who'd met with the missionaries before, but then found a job and had to move out of Ostrava. He's back and knows God led him to this church. Bingo--golden. Met with him and he accepted a baptismal right in the first lesson. 28 May. Miracles miracles miracles!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the best work in the world. Seriously, everyone should take part in it. Love you all!

s laskou,
sestra dean

P.S. July 5th...what an interesting date--I feel like it's something special. That should work. I will double check with president though. Also: our pdays here in prague are on Saturdays now instead of Mondays. Just fyi. Also: you are famous! Wow! Way to go easter journey! They forgot to mention Mary, the star of the show, who manages to fake tears in every performance and make it seem real. :) Another also: I just heard the Pres Uchtdorf might be coming to the CR soon. Woo!

Beks: I am DYING to get whatever it was in the mail...how long does it take for things to get from Taiwan to Prague? You are a missionary HERO, sista--God loves you! And me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment