Sunday, July 31, 2011

May 28th, 2011

Sister Christensen and I just established that we've both seen and fallen in love with the ridiculous made-for-tv movie, the 10th Kingdom. If Kelli ever reads this, just know that I'm thinking of you. :)

Can I just say that I looooooooooooooove specialized trainings? In a can't eat, can't sleep, over the moon, world series kind of way. That's how much I love them. This is why.

Lately I've been having all sorts of questions. Difficulties are a part of missionary work, of course, but I've noticed that I haven't been feeling as satsified from the work since I've come to Prague and I wasn't able to put my finger on it. I'm thinking that this is something that every missionary goes through at some point in the field--or maybe every person goes through it at some point in life. When there are so many changes, sometimes it's hard to figure out which ones are just a natural part of the changes that are supposed to happen and which ones are because something's changed that shouldn't have changed. So I've been talking it all over with God a bit. And he sent me some wonderful sisters from Ceske Budejovice to spend the night and teach me a thing or two (really they just came for training because it's too far to travel in the morning in time for it, but in one night and one morning I just received so so many personal insights from talking to them about the work--it was so wonderful!) and some inspired APs, ZLs, and President Irwins as well. I wrote down some questions I had before the conference and every single one was answered. I realized what our work here in Prague was lacking--"extra" contacting--i.e., contacting in the metro, while waiting to cross the street, on the bus, etc. It's not exactly something that every missionary here does, but I suppose it's something every missionary should do. I worked so hard in Ostrava to learn to use every moment as an opportunity to talk with someone, especially when we traveled in the tram, but with the move I've had to pay a little more attention to where we're going and I've spent a lot of travel time working with Sis. Chris on language things. But as soon as we began talking about it, I realized that it's really something that makes a difference--not only do we find more people, but in magnifying my calling even more I invite the spirit into the work more and allow myself to be led to those who need our message. I was able to put it into practice that night as we rode the bus to an appointment and it just made all the difference in the world! The guy didn't shout Hosanna and immediately hop into one of those lovely white jumpsuits, but I felt more like a disciple of Jesus Christ and that's the most wonderful feeling in the WORLD! I LOOOOOVE being a missionary!! Weeeeee!

Another wonderful thing that I learned:

So I told you about my prayer journal I think, right? I've been keeping a notebook with me as I pray in order to help myself notice and understand answers better. But last night I tried something different. Instead of just writing down afterwards the things that I thought maybe were answers, I wrote down every thought that came to me throughout the prayer. I cannot begin to tell you how different this prayer was from the other conversations I've been having with God. For one, my thoughts wandered far less than they often tend to at the end of the day. I really really felt Him talking to me. Like a real conversation. I knew that it was the way prayer was supposed to be--the makings of stories like Enos' and the Brother of Jared. And I received some beautiful, personal, long-needed revelation that maybe the Lord's been trying to tell me all along, I just haven't had the ears to hear it until now. I didn't want it to end! I found myself going to sleep on a spiritual high. I don't know if it'll work for everyone the way it did for me, but I would encourage every person who's looking for guidance in their lives to give it a go. Just kneel down with a paper and pen and write whatever comes to your head as you're praying. Answers come.

Ludek's getting baptized today. He's just so so prepared, I can't believe it. We met with him and another recent convert earlier this week--mainly we thought it'd help the recent convert because he's been struggling with his testimony. Every time we asked him to testify, he kind of side-stepped certain important truths--he called commandments "suggestions" and Ludek called him out on it! That man is going to be a wonderful leader in this branch some day, I just know it. :)

Also. I think there are some long-time investigators that we may be dropping soon. Let them think for a while until they are ready to change and the Lord can help other missionaries work with them. I am ready to find some new people. Can I just tell you how much I love finding? I.e. contacting, tracting, etc. (favorite finding past time: singing "who's that person who's gonna get baptized?" in between contacts.) I just love talking with people about this wonderful news that we have to share with all the world. It's so wonderful to see how people's hearts can soften within minutes. Because it's all so true and no sincere person can deny it.

Everyone, I just love you so much. :) You're all great. Tuesday Elder Pearson from the 70 is coming to talk to us again and it is going to be bomb.

s laskou,

sestra dean

Beks: Oh my, I just love you so much! You're exactly right. Thanks B, I'm praying for you. :) letter your way soon.

P.S. Update on Sis Stratton: she's alive! Minus an appendix and a gall bladder. In a few weeks it's possible that she'll go back out. Weeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment