Friday, July 9, 2010

Message from Hogwarts






Dearest family of mine,

THANK YOU for the wonderful birthday package! It was perfect! (Although everyone looks like an Egyptian princess in the family photo because of the way our eyes are edited....but I put it up on my shelf for all to see anyway. I kind of have a thing for Egyptian princesses.)

Yesterday morning my awesome companion and I took Ma's homemade granola and milk and bowls and some Einstein's bagels that Sestra Stratton received in the mail (she is probably the most popular person I know) into the Forbidden Forest and ate our breakfast after a healthy morning run. It was perfect. And then we discussed all the similarities between the MTC and Hogwarts--there are lots. In all seriousness though, I am loving my days here. I love the challenge the language provides and the depth that teaching brings to my soul. I find that, when I begin teaching a lesson about my God, my Savior, the Restoration, I am really looking into the hearts of whomever I am teaching. Usually, they're just teachers or Elders pretending to be investigators, but it's easy to forget that they're pretending. Because as soon as we begin talking about the truth, the feelings are real and it's impossible to misunderstand exactly how God feels about the person in front of me. The Spirit never pretends and it cannot be forced. But when it comes (usually when we testify), it is an overwhelming inner raucous of compassion--only a small semblence of the ferocity and intensity with which the Lord loves His children. Sometimes it's so strong that I'm afraid I'll need acupuncture to keep my heart from swelling, which would be messy. I just can't get over how great it is.

Also, I am loving cesky. It's difficult, but the way it stretches me is a bikram yoga, simultaneously-finding-and-pushing-oneself sort of pull. (Speaking of which, the exercise class this morning was YOGA. LOVED IT!) I've been able to spend a bit of time just speaking cesky with some fluent returned missionaries for the past few days--it's horrifying and exciting all at once to be forced to think on my feet and construct my own sentences with the limited knowledge that I have. It almost makes me feel as though I'm back in Romania again. (I often accidentally say things in Romanian instead of cesky, although this is getting less and less common.) It's incredible how quickly one learns things here. But I suppose that's the point of sitting in classes for 11+ hours a day.

The food here's not so bad. I've become the queen of making special requests of the cafeteria staff, but they are all very kind and accommodating. But really, potato pearls and gravy, with a side of SPAM?? If only Daddio were here.

It's so funny how the MTC begins to feel like a small university campus of sorts. You always run in to friends and we're always making new ones. I've run into Ben Miles several times (he teaches Romanian) and Marky's been my substitute teacher twice. Sometimes I find myself walking around and being surprised at the faces that I don't recognize. But I like it--there are so many interesting people to meet. I.e., there's an elder going to Czech with me that I want Danielle to marry. He's so cute and adorable and nice and he plays soccer and he's very musically talented and I just think they could love each other. I've already talked to him about it--I think I can convince him the age isn't that big of a deal.

I have three minutes left. I LOVE YOU ALL! Ma, I loved your letter. I'm so sorry that things have been hard on you with Pippen and all. Just remember: all dogs go to heaven. And tell Michelle that I will e-spank her if she doesn't start running with you more. (Also--I happened to see Beks on my temple walk on Sunday. She's going to buy me some brown flats and I just told her you'd give her my money. I hope that's okay. Really though, they're essential.)

Na shledanou! Hesky den!

Sestra Dean

1 comment: