Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First Email from MTC





Dear Ma & Co.,
Let me begin with a bit of forewarning: this computer is really funky. What I mean is, the 'enter' key is out of order, or something like that. So this is going to be one very looooong paragraph. And I know how you feel about long, intimidating paragraphs. Try not to throw up. And every time I press the period key this happens: .. Yeah, TWO periods.. How ridiculous.. I've been deleting the second one after each sentence, but now I'm about to give up on that.. It makes everything I say so suspenseful.. Don't get your hopes up, they're really just normal sentences.. I can't believe Pippen died.. Actually, that's a lie--I can definitely believe it.. But comprehending everything that entails is the part I can't seem to wrap my brain around.. I think I would cry if I hadn't already cried my eyes out today.. Nothing to worry about--the Lord is just teaching me how to be the person He wants me to be, rather than the girl I felt comfortable being.. Perhaps more tears will come tomorrow.... I LOVE the MTC.. Really! It's wonderful and spiritual and elevating and exhausting and hard and fun and completely worth it.. My companion is the greatest thing in the world.. Her name is Sestra Stratton, a direct descendant from the famous Stratton farmers of Orem Utah and she is headed for Croatia.. Actually, we are both 'solo' sisters, which means that we are both the only sisters learning our respective languages.. We have these little stickers on our nametags that let everyone know we're allowed to be with each other or with two elders at once.. We laugh our heads off on a regular basis and she is always so eager to find ways that we can be a better companionship.. The language is coming along well.. I am SO glad I studied some before I came.. I already know how to testify and pray and meet people and conjugate verbs and what seems like a MILLION other things.. I have 2:32 minutes left! EEK! This is hard! On Friday we had 8 apostles come to a fireside.. EIGHT! And I met my new mission president and he is the cutest little British man I've ever met! I'm afraid I have to go.. Next time you should write me on Dear Elder so I'll have more time to write back.. I love you SOOOO much! Ashley

Oh, and I did see Tyler.. And Ben Miles.. And Marky's going to sub for my class soon.. P..S.. Remember how, when I tried to imagine it before I could only envision Hogwarts? Well, I've found some similarities: a) Everyone dresses differently.. b) There is lots and lots of food at every meal.. c) There is a forbidden forest.. Seriously.. Sorry Nigel didn't find it when he was here.. d) we learn magic.. really, it's all magic..

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Pippen! I love that dog so stinking much. Ugh! I love you!

    ReplyDelete