Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Lord commanded us to be of good cheer and it's probably the commandment we break the most."--J.R. Holland (November 19th, 2011)





Pictures:

1. Our display at the concert--all about Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon. We had a huge picture of Christ visiting the Nephites and the Book of Mormon in 12 or so different languages. Also had copies of The Living Christ for people to take.

2. Sister Bean and I and our new daughters, Sister Smith and Sister Dolinar.

Hello my dears!

I am so grateful for all your emails this week. You guys are just the best. :)

We've seen a lot of little miracles this week. And we've seen a lot of little Satancles.

I won't lie, this area has never been super happening since I've been in Prague. The missionaries here always work really hard, but it's seemed to be an area of learning and growth for the missionaries here. So we've begun our time here with a LOT of phone calls and a LOT of contacting--a little bit of a throwback for me to the days of blinding in to Ostrava. I've grown so used to just contacting when a meeting falls through and when I'm in the metro. We've been really fortunate to set up a lot of meetings with people that we've called or met, however it seems that 90% of those have fallen through. And many of the people we've had meetings with haven't been completely willing to hear our message--more trying to disprove it or debate it. HOWEVER.

We did meet the most prepared person I've maybe ever met in the past year and a half. Her name is Jana. She was raised as a __________ but has been disappointed by the 'fruits'of the _________ church. She's asked herself what Christ's church would really look like. We taught her the whole Restoration on the spot. When we began speaking of a living prophet today she told us that he must be a really inspired and wonderful person. And she asked us where she could go to buy the Book of Mormon--she's just looking for people who don't try to change the doctrines in the scriptures to fit the things that appeal to them. Great right? We were really stoked to meet with her. We called her the day before our meeting and asked her if she had any questions about the pamphlet she read and she thanked me at least three times for calling. But the next day something happened--we waited for a half hour (way longer than we normally wait) but she never came. And her phone has been off for the past 3 days. We really hope she is okay.

However. God turns moments like this into opportunities. The member that was with us suggested that we say a prayer. So we did. Just after that, a CHINESE man approached us and asked for change for a 100-crown bill in great English. As the member searched her purse, we began telling him that we talk to people about Jesus Christ. He told us he works at the embassy here, but that more and more people are interested in him in China and that he'd like to talk with us. This all happened in maybe 3 minutes. So we're hoping that Li Hang will have a friend soon. :)

I went to a leadership training this week. I've been thinking a lot about what great leaders do that make people listen to them. I've been so impressed by King Benjamin's great impact on his people lately--how he taught them the consequences of their actions and led them to do great things by working alongside them and expecting great things of them. Man, the scriptures are so cool.

Ma, the concert was wonderful. I suppose the greatest miracle was that Sister Bean, who typically suffers from severe performance anxiety and has never successfully performed since she was 12 or so, overcame it. That was half of the reason we wanted to do it--to help her. During the first two songs it was a little shaky, but it was arranged in a way that she couldn't just give up--she had to continue playing. And she played through it and played beautifully. I'm not sure how many referrals we got total from it, but we got two phone numbers as well as made contacts with several friends of members. And it seems that lately members have been more excited to trust us with their friends and family.

Also: just met a less-active member here named Linda yesterday. It almost immediately felt like we were old friends. She's obsessed with geneology however, and agreed to let us help her prepare to go to the temple. And said we could meet her husband and talk with him about the gospel as well. Cool? I think so.

Everyone, I love you so much. Thank you for your prayers, we feel them.

S laskou,

Sestra Dean

P.S.'s

Smelly--the ARMY? What?! Do I need to start doing more pushups in the mornings?...

Binkyhead/Sis Wheeler/Jocelyn Heinzen??--Your picture is absolutely beautiful! I'm so happy for you! I think of you all the time now--it's almost like I'm in the position you were in when we served together and it's really interesting and weird--you handled it really well. I try to make myself be like you when it gets too weird. (I don't know if I ever told you this, but I found that other angel mug in the dejvicka apartment and remembered the story you told me and used it almost every day.) You are just so wonderful. I do know Hilary--not only did we go to Jerusalem together, but we also worked together! She's really great. Of COURSE I binkyhead everyone. I have yet to hear President Irwin say it though...

Ma and Daddio--you two are just wonderful. I don't even deserve you. I thank Heavenly Father for you every night. :) I'll be praying for your talk, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment