Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Oh My Little Dears . . . (12/22/10)



Okay, missionary work is just the greatest thing in the world. Ever. That's about all I have to say.

Love,

Ash



Haha--gotcha. This week has been amazing--full of miracles. For example, MARTIN IS GETTING BAPTIZED ON JANUARY 22!! He is just so dang prepared, I'm beside myself! We've already taught him about the Sabbath Day and the Word of Wisdom--two of the hardest things for people to live here. And of course, he just takes it all in stride. (Martin is in the picture wearing the black shirt and the red tie). Something pretty funny--we gave him this baptismal date over a week ago--last Tuesday--and he said yes, obviously. On Monday we taught a lesson to him and when it was over I said, "Well, we'll probably see you on Sunday sometime." He got a little confused--"Wait...aren't you going to be there on Wednesday?" After a few minutes we figured out that he thought he was getting baptized on the 22nd of December! And he still said yes! Haha--I feel kind of bad now, but I laughed pretty hard when I realized what he'd been thinking. But he's very good natured and just laughed along with me. He came to church again and came wearing a suit and tie--said the idea "just came to him" that it'd be appropriate and we never said anything about it. (You'd be surprised--a lot of women here wear pants to church and a few men wear jeans...usually the men start dressing up after a while, but a lot of even the really solid women wear pants. Hey, they come--that's what matters.)

Oh yes, and Martin doesn't really know Petr Bandik...he knows a different Petr in Brno who we contacted once, but didn't want to meet with us. I don't even remember who he is. But his last name sounds kind of like Bandik, hence the confusion. But Petr's coming to church in Ostrava this weekend (his dad lives here), so they will know each other soon enough.

So basically all our investigators except 3 have fallen off the face of the planet because of the holidays. Buuuuuuuuuutttt--those three all happen to have baptismal dates! Woo! Linh (the boy from Vietnam) has met with the missionaries in Prague a few times and met with us yesterday in Ostrava and he's back on track to be baptised on the 8th of January. (He's also in one of the pictures attached) Apparently there are a bunch of Vietnamese mafia members in Prague who have been abusing Vietnamese women lately and that's why he's having such crazy visa problems. Hopefully things'll get worked out--but the important thing is that he is learning all about God and wants to have a real relationship with him! Woo!

On Monday we had maybe the coolest day ever. Our noble district leader, Elder Doxey, (the bathroom guy) decided that we should go out with a bang as a district right before the holidays. So Monday we didn't schedule any meetings (except one with Martin...we had no other choice) and we planned to contact 1,000 people as a district. It was maybe the most invigorating thing I've ever done as a missionary--I felt like a small little army, planning where we'd go and when we'd meet up again throughout the day to tally the numbers. I did everything with my whole heart that day and it was so worth it. We always have a 30-minute tram ride to the center from our apartment every day and we try to talk to people on the tram. On most days we just sit next to someone and make conversation and bring up the gospel more naturally. But this day we talked only about the restored gospel and when someone said no I just moved on to the next person. Maybe the 5th person I talked to had real genuine interest in getting a copy of the Book of Mormon...and after we'd exchanged numbers I moved right on to someone else--and he didn't even mind! It was so cool to just give it all everything I've got. We ended the day having contacted 1,292 people and receiving 44 phone numbers as a district of 6 missionaries! It's looks crazy, but 44 numbers in one day is AMAZING! Not quite like Taiwan here, I suppose. :) Several of them seem really promising too! I'm so excited to talk with them after the holidays are over!!

Speaking of which, I've been thinking about this today--what would it be like to only contact women, like Beks?? We'd have maybe one investigator here in Ostrava! I won't lie, girls close to my age are maybe some of the most intimidating people to contact--I have to psych myself up for a half second each time I do, because they tend to be much more closed off here. But men are easy to talk to! I think it's less intimidating for a man to be approached by a young girl than a young girl to be approached by her peer or something, so they're more open to talk. Sometimes they're a little too open though--I never thought I'd be kissed on the street as a missionary by so many strange men, but it happens quite a bit(on the cheek--no worries, it's custom).

Oh MY--THANK YOU SOO SO SO MUCH FOR THE PACKAGE!! I finally received it last week--it was PERFECT. Those toe warmers SAVED us on 1,000 Day. Seriously! (Sister Laws says thanks too!) And I had just been fantasizing about wrinkle releaser the day before I received it. And I've been feasting on granola every morning and enjoying peanut butter and banana toast and my heart it just utterly content. I am saving the wrapped guys for Christmas day, don't worry. :)

Also. You CANNOT tell michelle about Santa. If you do, I might just cry. No!

Transfers are next Wednesday. Sister Laws and I are hoping we'll stay together--I never thought I'd say this, but I don't want to go back to Brno! I love it here in dirty old Ostrava!!

I'm SO excited to talk to you all! It was so good to hear Daddio's voice last night--it was weird how normal it felt! We'll soak up as much in 40 minutes as we can and just revel in that. :)

Also--for any other former missionaries who might be reading this: I asked Dad a few questions about his mission and it was all so interesting that I just wanted to hear from everyone--
How did you contact people in your mission? What sorts of approaches did you use? Were the people already religious--how did they respond to you? What things did you find effective? Any interesting stories, I'd love to hear!

Mam vsichni z vas tak rada! Hezke svatky!!

Love ash

P.S. Captain BALLSY is getting so big! I just sent you a postcard girl--I LOVE you! Happy birthday!

Also: other pictures--us missionaries in the district with member, Renata--she was baptized after 3 lessons with the missionaries about a year ago and is still really strong. Other is our english class. Gotta love these guys--really good way to find people to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment