Thursday, November 11, 2010

Daddy Long Legs Part I








Cauky, family!

I´ve made it to Ostrava--the cold, daunting North...actually it´s not so bad. I think I could really love this place--if only there were more people out! We arrived on Friday and have jumped right into the work, calling all the old investigators and setting up appointments. Itś already been an interesting experience, trying to get in touch with the investigators/potential investigators of the old Elders. One potential investigator that I called (they´d only talked to her once before) told me that her phone number was never intended for us and that she´d never meet with us. It was pretty funny. But for the most part people are pretty willing to set up something. We´ve already met with a guy whoś planning to be baptized on Nov 27th. Heś from Vietnam but speaks both broken Czech and broken English, so we make do with what we can. Heś 22, studying engineering here in Ostrava and his name is Linh. Weŕe not exactly sure if he'll be ready for a baptism that soon, but I hope so. He has a good heart and is eager to be baptized...but he also asked us during our meeting if the Bible and Book of the Mormon were the same thing. So he still has a little bit to learn.

Last time you mentioned that you didnt know what I did on a daily basis. So here is an average day in the life of Sestra Dean:

0615 wake up. run our little brains out. feel awesome because the beds we sleep on here are so so so comfortable. and there are fans.
0700 be girly and primp and stuff so that when we bat our eyes on the streets people will want to stop and talk to us...that's a lie, actually. and we eat.
0800 personal study. I've been re-reading the BOM this transfer, paying special attention to the promises that the Lord gives us. Its pretty neat--He really loves us, in case you didn't know.
0900 companionship study. we plan for meetings we have and practice things in Czech that we might have to use that day.
1000 language study. You keep asking about how the language is coming...I won't lie, I think I've been blessed with more of a knack for it than others in the mission. I really love learning it! It's so much fun. On Sunday, President Irwin and his wife came to our branch in Ostrava and I had to translate for her during Relief Society! Jejda--little ol me, just barely in her second transfer! It was pretty intimidating, but I managed well enough and just kind of made up the rest of the stuff that I didn't get into something that sounded spiritually uplifting and relevant. My lesson for Sister Irwin was probably better than the real thing anyway. (Just kidding). I only did that like once...or maybe twice. But I got more out of that lesson than I have in any other lesson since Ive been in the Czech Republic. Watch out Beks, this could be you in a few months.
1100 eat something delicious, probably
1130ish leave...it takes about 30 or 45 minutes to get to the center of town from where we live, which means we have 30 or 45 minutes to talk to people on the tram as we ride. I'm starting to get a bit better at this (I have to!). Usually I just start off by asking someone if I can practice my Czech with them and they inevitably ask me what in the world I'm doing in Ostrava and that's when I bring in the gospel. It's still a work in progress--sometimes it's hard to be bold in tram contacts, so I'm working on that a little more.
1200 from here on out we have various meetings and--dun dun dunnn!--CONTACTING! Im really getting to love contacting, although its been a little disappointing here in Ostrava thus far. It's interesting--while in America everyone is home for the weekends, here in the CR everyone leaves and goes to some mysterious cottage for the weekend. In Brno, which was twice the size of Ostrava, we always managed to find someone to talk to...here it's a little bit harder. I've already seen a lot more people out and about today, and it's afternoon and rainy, so I think that's a good sign. And we do that sort of missionary stuff until about 8:30, when we head back home and plan for the next day and loaf around in our underwear and stuff.

Also--PETR BLESSED THE SACRAMENT ON SUNDAY!!!! WEEEE!!! Apparently it was "quite nice", as he put it afterwards. I told him that you want to send him a Christmas card in the mail and he was really flattered by the idea and wants to send you something too. I gave him your address, but now the pressure is on--if you don't send him one he'll be really disappointed...
Petr Bandik
Šmejkalova 130
BRNO Žabovřesky, 616 00
Czech Republic

Also...you may wonder about the subject line. So our district leader here, Elder Doxy, is a little bit of a stiff. A really really good missionary, but rarely cracks a smile. So mine and Sister Laws (I LOOOOVE her!) is to help him loosen up a little bit this transfer...here him tell a joke or something. Unfortunately, I may have jumped the gun a little bit....
The building we attend church in has a men's and women's bathroom, like everywhere else. However, the men's only contains urinals, so if a man needs a little more relief, he must go in the women's. I'd heard about this, but kind of forgot about it once I arrived here....and sure enough, after our weekly district language study, I charged mindlessly into the women's restroom and opened the second stall door (I don't know why, but I ALWAYS go to the second stall...I'd never noticed it before my mission.. I don't think I do it on purpose) and there was Elder Doxey, sitting on the pot. I SAW HIS BARE LEGS. Gross. But don't worry, that was all. Boys are so weird...why don't they think to lock the door when they take their pants off?? This happened after the ward Halloween party in Brno too, when the Elders were changing out of their costumes too...but I only saw their garments. Elders are gross.

ahhhh I have to go, I love love love you and don't worry I bought a warmer coat and I'll let you know if I hear about the package and bye!!

s. dean (your fav daughter...and I'm writing danielle today)

No comments:

Post a Comment